Search This Blog

Sunday, July 10, 2011

My story: Part one

So as I said in my first blog, I have a habit of hurting myself on purpose. Hence the "Self Mutilation" in the title. Now, there are many kinds of self mutilation (otherwise known as self harm, or self injury.). Bruising, cutting, burning, hair pulling, etc. Personally, I cut. The rest just didn't appeal to me.
  I guess I'll talk about how it started.
  I had been feeling down for a while, what with my math grades falling and the ridicule and judgement from my parents and a few of my friends, and just plain old low self esteem. So as I searched for a way to make myself feel better, I started looking at stuff about cutting. There was a movie called To Save a Life, where one of the characters cut to feel better. Demi Lovato was discovered as being a self-harmer. And one of my friends had been cutting for a while. So I connected the thought of relief, with pain.
  Now, that might have been a foolish thing to think, and it probably was. But, I wanted to find out for myself. So on January 21, 2011 I took the sharp, rough edge of one of those plastic valentines to the side of my arm, where it was really boney.
  When any cutter just starts out, they adore the feeling and want to do it more, just like a druggie. But once you get addicted, all you want is to be able to stop. That is one very big thing that I didn't realize. One of my friends told me that, and said that if I stopped, she'd try to as well. But I didn't take her up on that offer, though I probably should have for the both of us. Because now she's much worse than she ever was.
  But back to the story. At first, I didn't do it deep enough to bleed, just enough to feel it, which is all I really needed at the time. But as it progressed, I had to have it bleed for it to be enough. Eventually, it didn't really hurt anymore, and I was just in it for the blood. At that point, I had started doing it with the sharp metal part of a fancy tape dispenser that I had taken out. I kept it hidden in plain sight, because I could just clean it off and put it back in the tape dispenser when I wasn't using it and nobody would suspect anything.
  I guess I was TRYING to get caught, to a point. And eventually I did, but that is a story for another time.

23 comments:

  1. Yeah, that made me cry.
    I wouldn't have been able to post something like this.
    You're the bravest person I know, like for real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So,hi,uh,this is kinda awkward,but..I just wanted to say that you've inspired me to do something similar.
    So thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Sydney: You are very welcome, and when you do, I'd like to read it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sydney: I will be your biggest fan, I'd also like to read your blog.
    Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It ended up a little different than I planned..so it's quite disturbing and such,but it felt good to say it all,so I guess...here ya go.
    http://thescaredandscarred.blogspot.com

    I've never really let any of that out before. Thanks again,Juliette.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's not my self-harm story,per sea,but it's..well ya just have to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. really? thanks,I guess. It was weird to write. Baring myself to strangers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. damnit. I'm trying to get a hang of this and I keep commenting as different things. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its okay. Hey, is Sydney your real name? Because you remind me a bunch of someone I know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Of course it's not. I came here to be just another person,you know? But unless you live in Arizona,I'm not that person. That much is true.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohhhh okay. Because you sound a lot like that friend that I mentioned, so I was just checking. xD

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's actually kinda worrisome that you have a friend that sounds like me..:/ How is she,if you don't mind me asking?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, I'm not really sure. We stopped talking as much as we used to, partly because most of the time when I talked to her she made me feel worthless and that wasn't helping EITHER of us, but we've talked a few times since then, and I think that she probably hasn't gotten any better. She texted me one night saying "Vein. Big. Blue. Right there. Freaking me out." So I was praying that nothing was wrong with her.
    I hope she's alright. :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. How'd she make you feel worthless? Maybe you made her feel the same way..:/ Maybe you should try to start talking with her again? If she's anything like you said,she could probably use a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just random comments that really DIDN'T help my self esteem at all, and I know she knew they were hurtful. I think she said she knew once. Or something like that. And we'll be starting back to school soon, so I'll start talking to her again then.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh. Well that sucks. How do you know she'll talk to you at school? I mean,maybe she thinks you've fallen out. Oh well,just my opinion. I know it's not my place,since I only starting talking to you,what,three days ago?lol.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yeah. Like not friends anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I THINK she thinks we're still friends o.o

    ReplyDelete
  20. If you haven't talked to her in weeks,why would she think that? I've stopped being friends with so many people by just not talking to them.

    ReplyDelete