So its six thirty in the morning, I can't swallow anything solid, and I was thinking about something that annoys me: people who think depression and mental health issues can just be stopped on will.
Now, I'll admit that I used to be one of these people, until I got some of those myself. For those of you that don't know, I have depression and anxiety, which are both a lot worse than they sound. Depression is basically when you're really sad for a long time and can't be cheered up for good. Well, you can, but with treatment. And anxiety is, I think, where you live in a state of high pressure for a while and it starts to take a toll on your mind with panic attacks.
A panic attack is possibly the most terrifying and horrible thing I've ever experienced. But if you want to know more about that, look at this: http://sparklesrainbowsandselfmutilation.blogspot.com/2011/07/my-story-part-three.html
I love my mother, really I do, but I think that she thinks that I can just STOP having anxiety and depression by "not focusing on myself". Well, mom, the thing about that, is that there's something wrong with my brain, and not my attitude. I'm not focusing on myself, my brain is. My brain is thinking about all the bad things in the world and how high everyone's expectations are and how I can never meet them and it starts to get to you, you know? I can't just stop. There are chemicals in my brain that cause these feelings of sadness and I can't control it. Would you say "Its just diabetes, get over it."? Because how I see it, diabetes is a life long disease that affects how you live your every day life, just the same as depression and anxiety. You can't shrug it off, as it is in your blood. This is in my brain.
I'll shrug it off when they can.
I had a major panic attack in DC and told people to go away and ended up being called a stupid bitch by about three people.:p
ReplyDeleteo.e I'm sorry. I hate it when people don't get it. I had to explain to this guy from school that I couldn't go to a concert because of the anxiety and he STILL doesn't understand.
ReplyDeleteIt was the second time my parents forced me to go on a school trip too. The first one to San Fran didn't turn out well either...parent's never listen.
ReplyDeleteand ugh,that sucks!